Have you ever wondered what causes dental erosion? Dental erosion, also known as enamel erosion, occurs when acids eat away at the precious tooth enamel protecting our teeth. Tooth enamel, the thin layer on our teeth, can be damaged in a variety of ways, but it is typically harmful acids that break through the easiest and make a tooth susceptible to infection and tooth loss. Listed below are a few samples and risks of hazards that can put you at risk for dental erosion:
– Harmful acids are the main cause of dental erosion and can be found in acidic foods such as citrus fruits and fruit drinks, as well as highly sugary foods, as sugar can be converted to acid by bacteria in your mouth.
– Acid reflux and heartburn can cause dental erosion.
– Sour sweets are highly acidic and can be extremely corrosive to tooth enamel.
– Food and drinks with low pH levels put you at the highest risk for dental erosion.
– Avoid eating chewy or sticky foods as well as snacks between meals, because the longer food sits on your teeth and gums, the higher the likelihood of dental erosion.
For an oral examination at Summit Village Dental at our dental office in Lee’s Summit, Missouri, please schedule an appointment with Dr. Carole Gleich and our team by calling 816-525-5414. We look forward to helping you create the smile you deserve!