Flossing can seem like a simple task. However, there are some techniques that can help you floss better. Learning these techniques can help you keep your teeth and gums cleaner and healthier.
– You may need about 18 inches of floss in order to perform the task. This amount can help you keep plaque out, as you may want to use a clean segment of the string everytime you switch to a different tooth. Plaque gets stuck on the string, and if you use the same part of the string over and over, you can spread that plaque around instead of cleaning it up.
– To hold the floss, you can wrap it around your index fingers and secure it by pinching it with your thumbs.
– When you put the string between your teeth, you can use gentle back-and-forth motion to ease it in. It is not generally a good idea to just pull it in forcefully.
– Instead of just moving the string up and down, pull it so it forms a C around the side of the teeth and slide it up and down with gentle motions.
– You can also slide floss into the little gap between your teeth and gums to clean it out, without going too deep of course.
If you like these techniques and would like to learn how else you can care for your smile, we are happy to help you here at Summit Village Dental, which is right here in Lee’s Summit, Missouri. Our dentist, Dr. Carole Gleich, can perform a dental exam to help you understand the needs of your teeth and mouth. Call 816-525-5414 now, and we can schedule a visit so we can help you maintain your smile.