If you’re wondering why your chompers no longer have the white, brilliant glow to them, our Summit Village Family Dental team is happy to give you the answer! There are many things in the world today that can cause tooth discoloration, and those things are:
– Drinks: There are many drinks that can stain your smile, especially coffee, tea, and red wine. These drinks have chromogens, which are intense color pigments that attach to the white outer section of your teeth.
– Tobacco Use: Tobacco products contain two chemicals that cause major stains, and those chemicals are tar and nicotine. If you avoid using tobacco, your smile will remain white and brilliant.
– Age: Throughout time, your teeth begin to wear down. As your teeth’s enamel wears away, the yellowish area underneath the enamel starts to show. This area is called dentin. The more your enamel disappears, the yellower your smile will be.
– Trauma: When you injure your smile, your teeth try to protect themselves by growing additional dentin, which has a yellow tint to it. Once the dentin grows over your teeth, the white enamel will disappear.
– Medications: Tooth discoloration can be a side effect of many medications, like antihistamines, antipsychotics, and high blood pressure medication. Chemotherapy and radiation can also stain your teeth.
If you’re interested in brightening your smile with a teeth-whitening treatment in Lees Summit, Missouri, it’s time to call 816-287-5650! If you call our office and schedule an appointment with your dentist, Dr. Carole Gleich, you will have the stunning and white smile you are missing. We look forward to helping you!