Are you taking excellent care of your oral cavity? If you desire a confident smile, you will need to begin with the basics of oral care. This includes brushing, flossing, and rinsing your smile daily. Today we would like to review the essentials of brushing your teeth properly. Let’s take a look!
You want to brush at least twice each day. While we encourage brushing after each meal, it is important to wait half an hour to let the tooth enamel recover from any acid that may have softened it.
Next, brush your teeth:
- Begin by putting a pea-sized amount of toothpaste onto the bristles. We recommend using a soft-bristled toothbrush, and fluoride toothpaste, to protect enamel.
- Hold your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle, and up to the gum line.
- Using a circular motion, brush the teeth, one tooth at a time. Allow the bristles to reach into the crevices of the teeth.
- Using the tips of the bristles, clean the tops of the chewing surfaces of each tooth, getting into the grooves of each tooth.
- Be sure to clean the backs of each tooth, both upper and lower, using small circular motions.
- When you are ready for the inside of the bottom front teeth, you will want to angle the toothbrush head up and down in small circles.
- When it comes to the inside of the front tip teeth, brush in an up and down position, again, moving in small circles.
- Don’t forget to brush your tongue as well, from the back of your tongue moving forward in gentle strokes. Not only will this help clear away bacteria, but it will freshen your breath in the process.
- You should aim to brush your teeth from 2-3 minutes. When you are finished, rinse well with water.
- Be sure to replace your toothbrush every 3-4 months, or whenever the bristles are beginning to fray.
A healthy smile doesn’t just stop at brushing, flossing, and rinsing correctly. It also includes eating healthy and seeing your dentist every six months for professional cleanings and checkups. If you would like to know more, please give our Summit Village Family Dental team a call at 816-287-5650. Dr. Mark Jensen and Dr. Carole Gleich in Lees Summit, Missouri, are here for your smile!